5 Elements of a Successful Digital Marketing Strategy
It’s a new year and many people (especially in South Africa) are gearing up for the soccer world cup. I cannot explain how much we are being bombarded in the media with soccer-related promotions and advertisements. However, even though I have seen this soccer-mania hit newspapers, radio, billboards and newspapers, I have not seen much of an effort made to market the world cup online…
This made me think that maybe, our world cup organizers don’t know about how to set out a successful digital marketing strategy, which is why I have decided to put in my 5 cents and layout what I believe needs to be part of a successful digital marketing strategy:
- Extensive Keyword Research – You need to know what keywords receive the larger amount of searches. Choosing the best keywords to target gives you a better chance of getting increased visits to your site. There are many keyword tools out there that allow you to get an idea of which keywords are popular, as well as trends and user interest. You can use the following tools (to name a few):
- Google External Keyword Tool - Google-specific Keyword Research
- SEO Books Keyword Tool
- Google Insights - User Interest
- Google Trends – Trending Topics
- Google Traffic Estimator ( PPC)
You are more likely to have success from long-tail keywords than from your primary list of chosen keywords, as more specific keyword-phrases lead to higher conversion rates.
- Quality Content -The importance of having quality content on your site cannot be stressed enough. Not only does quality content make your website more “sticky”, it also attracts natural backlinks that will help with your SEO. Make sure that your spelling and grammar is perfect and that the tone reflects the personality of the company.
- Site Design – There are 3 elements that need to be taken into consideration when it comes to site design, namely:
- Usability - your site needs to be user-friendly and intuitive, with clean navigation having important content no-less than 3 clicks away as a rule of thumb.
- Conversion Optimization – The layout and design of the site needs to be optimized to yield higher conversion rates, this can be done by testing up until you find the perfect layout. You can read more about conversions here.
- SEO - Make sure you have search engine friendly site.
- Use the appropriate marketing channels – Know your business objectives before you decide on which online marketing channels to include in your strategy, for example, social media doesn’t work for everyone. There are many channels to choose from, for example:
- Search Engine Optimization
- Paid Search – Pay-Per-Click Marketing (PPC)
- Social Media Marketing
- Understand Your Analytics – You need to fully understand your analytics data before you know what to do with it.By understanding your analytics you can pin-point areas you are lacking as well as new opportunities, for example, new keywords to target, or which pages have the highest Bounce Rates. This allows you to fine-tune your strategy for improved results.
Keeping these in mind will allow you to make the most out of your digital marketing strategy.